Thursday, July 14, 2005

From Cuba to Quebec

The Dears put on a terrific show Thursday night, powerful songs with super playing (and the lighting crew were really on the ball as well). I shot an entire roll of film they were such a photogenic bunch. I also caught a few songs at the beginning and end of Willy Porter's set and was impressed by brand of his acoustic folk pop. Like Final Fantasy the previous weekend, he got a lot of mileage out of a looping pedal.
I also headed back to the ADCN Stage to see Elmer Ferrer again and was much more impressed this time around. Pictures of all these shows to come. For now here's a few shots of C.R. Avery from Wednesday.

The man himself.



Avery helpfully points out Ottawa resident Brian Simms.



If my memory serves (hah!), the bassist's name was Phil. The bad news is, I forgot my notebook so I had to rely on memory for names. The good news is since I forgot it at home it wasn't reduced to pulp by the evening's deluge.



Brian keeps an eye on suspicious characters in the audience.



Avery and possibly Phil.



I've been fiddling around with my newly acquired telephoto lens. The following rock jump was shot at to slow a shutter speed, then fooled around with in a dodgy Microsoft program. Thus the cruddy resolution. Nice jump though.



The music I could hear online didn't knock me out, but his live show was excellent.

No comments: