Saturday, April 02, 2005

Cardiac arrest

SS Cardiacs played a great set at Mavericks. They were a kind of artless duo (bassist Mike Small was MIA), but between Leon Taheny's stick-smashing drumming and Jessie Stein's distorto-guitar sounded first rate (unlike my previous grumping about the sound at Mavericks for previous shows, this time the sound was excellent). They were supposed to headline but were in a rush to get to Montreal so The Weapons of Mass Seduction finished the bill.

Jessie Stein does the knees-together move I forever associate with Elvis Costello.



Stein's singing voice is raspy yet girlish, and quite appealing, if a bit of an acquired taste.



A Taheny montage. They were in such a hurry to go he was removing the microphones from his kit as he played the last song.



I'm still fooling around with the old shutter speed, but I think that generally works better with slower film.



I'll be interested to hear what they sound like with their bassist.

No comments: