Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Blue thoughts

Without the Birdman Stage the Ottawa Bluesfest doesn't hold the same interest for me as it did in 2003 and 2004. However, there are a few bright spots:
  • Tinariwen: Much loved by Britain's Mojo magazine, these guys should attract world music cognoscenti for miles around. Where else are you going to see the world's premier Libyan-trained Kel Tamashek guerrillas turned musicians? I'm looking forward to the genuine Saharan nomad blues.
  • Mofro: Another favourite record from last year. Swampy blues from Florida, where as you know they have a lot of swamp. They're on at 1:45 on a Sunday ... what a fine band to beat the crowd for ...
  • Pernice Brothers: I'm not sure how well the groups country-pop will translate to a big outdoor stage, but their records are so uniformly excellent, it's be foolish not to go and find out.
  • Neko Case: I saw her at a bitterly cold and windy Ottawa Tulip Fest performance. Unfortunately as things are currently scheduled she's on at the same time as Tinariwen.
  • Calexico: I missed them when they played Babylon ... never again!
  • Martha Wainright: I don't care what the critics say (except for Allan Wigney, of course!) - this is the most talented Wainwright; best new record of 2005, too.
  • Holly Golightly: Well, duh.
  • Lhasa: Another killer lady singer, in three languages. I expect a vast rush from the MBNA Grassroots stage to the Black Sheep stage where she's performing after Tinariwen wraps things up.
  • The Sadies: There isn't that much else on the first Saturday that interests me ... but if you fancy the Broken Social Scene scene, you'll be in heaven.
  • Dr. John: For the second time Bluesfest books him off the main stage ... what the? Just after Joe Bonamassa, so I think I'll catch both.
  • Dutch Mason. Gotta see the prime minister of the blues while you can (the other option is The String Cheese Incident - eek!). And he's followed by John Mayall - perfect! I do expect the average age of the crowd to be over 55, though ....
There seem to be a lot of TBAs in the late slots. I'll be interested to see what they have to top up their announced lineup ... I hope to catch Keren Ann, The Dears, Gentleman Reg, Danielia Cotton .... any other must sees? That comment section is there for a reason you know ....

No comments: