Monday, August 01, 2005

Father knows best

I'm understanding what made the Daydream Square/Parades Against Parades/My Dad Vs. Yours triple bill so effective - all three have inspired me to use the adjective "pretty." My Dad Vs. Yours' pop-familiar sound is a departure in a world cluttered with post-rock Tortoise-worshippers and G!YBE wanna-bes, though it has some modern edges; it's not an exercise in retro cinema music. On the other hand, if a French ye-ye singer parachuted in from 1964 and needed a local group to back her up I'd nominate MDvsY for the job.

Jose Palacios plays guitar; you may recall his appearance at Irene's with St. Bernard of Love back in March. At right, Kelsey McNulty plays keyboards and assorted percussion.



More McNulty.



Tom Herbert on lead guitar and Ben Stanford on bass.



Arturo Brisindi on drums.



A somewhat better picture of Stanford.



By the time this hits the 'Net, they should have begun laying down tracks for a full length album.

No comments: