Sunday, August 28, 2005

Everybody must get stoned

I just returned from the Rolling Stones' show at Frank Clair stadium, and I can only say one thing: That is one amazing stage! I give rock's foremost geezers full credit for pulling off a great show, although even with all the bells and whistles I don't think I'll be venturing out of Ottawa's dingy and not-so-dingy clubs and bars for another taste of arena rock in the near future.
I had a delicious salmon dinner in the company of my aunt; her housemates Jo and Barb; family friends Wendy and Ed; Preston, Jo's nephew; and Robby, a friend of Preston's drafted at the last minute to take an unwanted ticket. They live just a few blocks away from Lansdowne Park, so we could hear Les Troix Accords take the stage as we munched away.
"I don't feel moved to rush over," Wendy observed.
By the time we had finished eating and made our way through the maze of the Ex to the southside stands, we could hear Our Lady Peace begin their set.
I'm not a big fan of the band, though I can remember buying their first record when it came out (on cassette, no less) . The sound was really muddy.
About 8:45 the Stones came on to a rock'em sock'em light show. The stage had a series of wings to the side, the lower two accommodated boxes for concert goers, the upper ones held lights and pyrotechnic stuff, including huge flame projectors that generated enough heat to be felt in the stands hundreds of feet away.
There was a huge screen, so you could see Mick Jagger's four-storey simulacrum jump about as he strutted the stage below.
Fortunately the sound for the Stones was better than that for OLP, though I think Ron Wood should seriously consider having a word with the soundman - his guitars sounded quite screechy from where I was sitting.
Once again - that is one amazing stage. Apart from the lights, rockets, flames, huge CGI lips (and an inflatable multicoloured version of same), the stage's centre portion rolled out to the centre of the crowd so the band could play Honky Tonk Woman and (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction.
In addition to the lousy sound, I had the bad luck to be sitting directly in front of a hooting idiot - he was having a good time, and wanted everyone in the surrounding five rows to now. Frankly, I can live without people bellowing for an encore - particularly when said encore has already been under way for several minutes.
Well, it was a spectacle, and worth the price - once.

No comments: