Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Put up your Dukes!

Cuff The Duke have progressed quite a bit since I saw them play at Zaphod's way back when. They've also won a fair bit of acclaim for their pop-with-country, which is as it should be. Indeed, they headlined one Friday night for The Blacksheep Stage at this year's Bluesfest. They like that California pop sound, and a bit of post-rock. Sometimes they had me thinking of Calexico, whereas on songs like Take My Money and Run they reminded me of The Hold Steady.

Wayne Petti starts things off on bass.



Jeff Peers deep in thought.



Paul Lowman did most of the bass playing, switching to piano as needed.



Mysterious Matt Faris on drums ... hmm, I think he did the drumming for the Hylozoists too.



Paul Aucoin (who Sadies fans may recall, with a mustache, as Critter) played vibraphone, piano and occasional percussion.



Petti definitely likes to shake it all about.



Some acoustic guitar.



Paul at the piano.



More guitar action!



An explosive finale!



An excellent set, and a packed house, too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

those are some fabulous pictures!

correction though, it's paul lowman on bass (and sometimes piano), not matt lowman.

A.C. said...

Oops, that's fixed ... I must have been really snoozy when I wrote that, since I got his name right when he was playing for The Hylozoists.